Until recently most music software only allowed working with the same 12 notes, equally divided over an octave. Whilst microtuning additions have broadened this considerably, it can still be cumbersome to get all plugins and external synths in tune, until now...
The MTS-ESP Suite equips composers with tools to get everything tuned quickly and accurately, as well as presenting entirely new compositional methods.
Change notes or chords whilst they’re being played, transpose all instruments at once or morph into an entirely different tuning system - the possibilities are endless. Discover more about tuning and get detailed visual representations in real-time, or simply get everything tuned correctly in record time.
The MTS-ESP Suite provides the computer musician with an intuitive toolset for rapidly composing and finessing microtonal pieces. Existing MIDI compositions can be easily converted to a different tuning system and given an entirely different emotional context. Working on new compositions is made nearly effortless.
- Import and export .scl, .kbm and .tun tuning and mapping files
- Create new tuning systems, manually and algorithmically
- Control the tuning of your whole studio from within a single plugin
- Retune any plugin or MIDI device with either MTS-ESP, MPE, MTS SysEx or MIDI pitch bend
- Automate tuning changes across all plugins and MIDI devices
- Visualize and compare tuning systems
- Convert compositions from one tuning system to another
- Create subset scales by analysing MIDI to only include used notes
- Use a Novation Launchpad as a microtonal keyboard and chord player
- Create tunings by ear and tune instruments with the built in synth
- Zero-latency, low CPU use
- Simple, ergonomic resizable interface
- Mac Retina and Windows HiDPI support
- Free, completely functional 30-day demo
Windows System Requirements
- Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10
- 32 bit or 64 bit
- A host that supports VST, VST3 or AAX plug-ins.
Mac OS System Requirements
- OS X 10.7 or newer, including Catalina(10.15) and Big Sur(11)
- 64 bit only
- A host that supports VST, VST3, AU or AAX plug-ins.
- Intel or ARM Mac
1.06 -> 1.07 (2021-08-18)
- Fix broken mapping with .scl import.
- Fix crash when deleting macros.
1.05 -> 1.06 (2021-08-05)
- Add new "Reference Frequency Step" macro type, for shifting reference frequency up/down in steps by a given interval.
- Add option to assign CC messages to increment/decrement active/morph scale selction and value of discrete macros (switch, ref freq step and transpose).
- Fix save and recall of MIDI note assignment in MTS-ESP Master.
- Support linear .kbm files when loading .scl and .kbm together.
- MTS-ESP MIDI Client: Add "MPE Voices" parameter if Voice Mode set to "Poly MPE", to allow setting of the MPE Zone size.
- MTS-ESP MIDI Client: respond to MPE config messages: MPE Receive, Master Chan and MPE Voices parameters will update accordingly.
- MTS-ESP MIDI Client: Ensure CC121 Reset All Controllers message is sent before MPE config messages.
- MTS-ESP MIDI Client: Block poly pressure messages if Voice Mode set to "Poly MPE" and MPE Receive is "Off", as MPE spec does not allow poly pressure messages on zone channels.
- MTS-ESP MIDI Client: If Voice Mode set to "Mono", Force Mono set to "Off" and Retune Type set to "Note+PB", suppress note off if releasing to another held key which has the same adjusted note number.
- MTS-ESP MIDI Client: Fix save and recall of MIDI Channel "Keep Chan" option when Voice Mode set to "Mono".
- MTS-ESP MIDI Client: Fix program change, CC, aftertouch and poly pressure messages not maintaining channel when MIDI Channel set to "Keep Chan" and Voice Mode set to "Mono".
- MTS-ESP MIDI Client: Fix VST-MA Bypass MIDI learn.
1.04 -> 1.05 (2021-06-22)
- Add a table of primes to Snap To Ratio macro and snap settings on Setup page, where individual primes can be selected with min and max exponent for each prime.
- Add a "Compound Limit" parameter for Snap To Ratio macro and snap settings on Setup page, which limits the number of "primary" ratios comprising the snapped ratio.
- Add option to Snap To Ratio macro to copy snap settings to/from Setup.
- Snap To Ratio default values changed to more useful values.
- Snap To Ratio macro now has the option to only snap specific scale steps.
- Add "Allow Drift" option to Transpose macro in "Transpose & Modulate" and "Transpose" modes, which allows for tonic drift when modulating. Also add "Reset Drift" button and "Reset Drift Trig" parameter to allow for resetting drift either via mouse click or assigned MIDI message. Current drift is displayed in Macro Settings box and can be shown relative to any other scale in the list.
- Step labels on keyboard keys and note values in Tuning Table "Key" column now adjust to show current modulation if using a Transpose macro in "Modulate" mode. Key step labels turn red to indicate when current tonic step is different from initial tonic.
- Allow graph reference scale to follow Morph scale if in use.
- Scale List and Tuning Table select all OSX keyboard command fixed from Ctrl+A to Cmd+A.
- Frequency values in Tuning Table now show step frequency including any macro adjustments.
- Improvements in handling of hot-plugging MIDI devices.
- Add a "Keep Chan" MIDI channel option to MIDI Client when Voice Mode set to "Mono", for when triggering different articulations of a mono instrument using different MIDI channels.
- Fix MIDI Client UI opening at incorrect size on second and subsequent openings from Max for Live device.
- Fix MIDI Client only applying pitch bend whilst note held.
- Fix MIDI Client crash in Logic Pro.
1.03 -> 1.04
- IPC support for MTS-ESP.
- Fix handling of note remapping for poly pressure messages in Launchpad script and MIDI Client.
- Correctly offset reference frequency when loading from [Exact Tuning] section in Tun file.
- Fix crash when analysing scale where all intervals are multiples of the period.
- Ensure Ctrl-click is always recognised as secondary click on OSX.
- Fix updating of morph frequencies when switching morph scale.
- Fix step note-on indicators potentially sticking on when triggering duplicate notes from launchpad.
- Fix incorrect frequencies of Tuning, Random or Priority Adjuster macro placed after a Transpose macro.
- Fix transpose macro default value when Ctrl/Cmd clicking.
- Transpose macro modes renamed to be more self-explanatory.
- New Transpose macro mode "Modulate", shifts tonic whilst maintaining it's frequency.
- New parameter for Transpose macro "Adaptive Tuning" selects whether to use the adjusted intervals output from the previous macro or the original scale intervals when modulating.
- Transpose macro now correctly adjusts reference frequency if placed after other macros.
- Transpose macro can now be controlled via MIDI note messages, with option to use lowest played note.
- Improve automation timing.
- Fix changing scale type not working at the same time as automating active scale.
- Fix handling of CCs with VST3 in Ableton Live.
- Turn off any notes which need to be filtered out when updating control note filter.
- Fix MIDI Client not showing license details.
- Fix handling of multi-channel MIDI input with VST3 MIDI Client.
- Fix recall of wheel bend up range in MIDI Client M4L MPE device.
- Fix error message showing when MIDI Client M4L device or track is duplicated after editing a parameter.
- Right-click Bypass button in MIDI Client to learn it to a CC.
- Fix OpenGL crash on closing UI in VCVRack on ARM Mac.
- Fix support for Launchpad Mini Mk3.
- Fix keyboard input for some DAWs on OSX.
- Tuning Table right click option "Invert Ratio" now applies period expansion/reduction after inverting.
1.02 -> 1.03
- Relocate MTS-ESP library to Common Files folder on Windows.
- Fix potential parameter recall issues with VST3 in Bitwig.
- Fix parameters sometimes resetting on loading M4L device.
1.01 -> 1.02
- Improve plug-in loading with MIDI Client M4L device in Ableton Live.
- Fix MIDI Client M4L device install script on OSX.
- Fix MTS-ESP note filter not getting updated when manually adding/removing steps from a scale.
- Add Sevish Tuning Pack.
- Remove unnecessary Device ID bytes 2 and 3 parameters from MIDI Client.
- If MPE Receive is set to On in MIDI Client, scale MPE bend according to active tuning. "Wheel" bend renamed to "MPE Bend" for this case and should be set to the same as the controller bend range.
1.00 -> 1.01
- Fix missing presets in MIDI Client.